· Artificial tears are eye drops that lubricate and soothe your eye. They are very safe and can be used whenever the eye feels irritated or dry.
· They are available over-the-counter, without a prescription.
· Suggested brands
Systane Ultra Tears
· Do not use visine or any eye drops that claim to “get the red out.”
· If you need to use the drops more than 6 times a day to keep your eyes comfortable, you have several options:
o Use artificial tears that do not have preservatives. When artificial tears are used often, the preservative in the bottle can irritate your eyes.
o Ointment can be used at bedtime. Suggested brands – Refresh PM or Systane Night Time Ointment.
o Another option is to have a small plug placed into the opening in the eyelid that drains your tears. This can help keep more tears in your eyes.
o Restasis and Xiidra are prescription eye drops that can help increase the amount of tears you make. They are applied twice daily.
ALLERGIES AND ITCHY EYES
· There are several eye drops for allergies that are available over-the-counter. They are used twice a day as needed when your eyes are itchy.
o Ketotifen 0.025%